System Maintenance Downtime:
July 13 – July 14, 2024

Due to system maintenance, the College’s online application, registration, and payment systems will be unavailable from 6:00am on July 13, 2024, until approximately 6:00pm on July 14, 2024.


Program Outline

Oxyacetylene welding and cutting is the first welding component studied. This is followed by the arc welding component. The last eight weeks are divided among metal inert gas (MIG) and tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding components and specialty welding applications. MIG is used in shipbuilding and machinery, and TIG is used in the pipeline and brewery industries and in the demanding area of aircraft maintenance.

You will perform calculations, interpret blueprints and sketches, layout work, cut to layouts, assemble and weld in all positions as required in the completion of work assignments. The identification, application, care, and use of welding equipment, hand and power tools, layout tools, and general shop equipment will be demonstrated continuously. Safety to self and equipment will be stressed.

Regular and prompt attendance, interest, and proper work habits are essential to your success. Theory tests in each welding component and grading of practical work assignments to government and industrial standards will constitute approximately 80 percent of the program grading. A final comprehensive theory examination will account for the remaining 20 percent.

Page produced on 2024-07-13 20:43:04
Red River College Polytechnic endeavours to provide the most current version of all program and course information on this website. Please be advised that classes may be scheduled between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, process, or procedure without notice or prejudice. Fees may change without notice.